Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Dreaming

Last week I did something I've only done once, maybe twice before in all of my 31 years. I bought a Powerball ticket. Heck, there hasn't been a winner since June, the jackpot is ginormous. Some one's gotta win - why not me? Ever since I bought that ticket, I've randomly thought of things I'd do with the money.

First of all, if you're reading this and you're family - you are golden if I win. That's #1, you'll never have to worry about the benjamins again.

Next, I would buy a pimped out RV and do the cross country trip I've always wanted to do. I'd pack up my two boys and we'd take our time - OK, we might go sorta quickly through the Midwest, but once we hit 'rado we'd slow the pace. And we'd make our way back home through Canada. Spending a good chunk of time in B.C.

We'd take a little break in between trips, but then it would be off to Norway. I read an article in some travel magazine about Norway while waiting for my oil to get changed a few weeks ago and I've had this urge to go there ever since.

That's another thing...If I was Powerball rich, I would *never* take my car to get the oil changed again. I'd hire someone to do it. It's one of those things that I HATE doing. They always find something else you need done, and I never know if I *really* need it or if they're just trying to make a buck off my ignorance.

And, I'd quit my job. That's right, I said it - I would. I love my boss and the good work she does, but I wouldn't 'work for the man' anymore. I'd quit my job, take a few grant writing courses and make some money for some causes I believe in. I'd be a freelance grant writer. Heck, maybe I'd write grants to my own Foundation and either approve them or not. That could be fun.

So, that's what I've been able to come up with so far. I wouldn't buy a fancy car, I like my car. I would probably buy a house, but not a horrendous McMansion, it would be a small log cabin on some acres.

Damn that Powerball, it's got me dreaming!

What would you do with the $$?

11 comments:

Moody Family said...

Oh the possibilities....... We would pay all of our debt off (The house especially). Then make college funds for the kids. After that we would buy a place on the Wood River above Meeteetse and move out of the meth infested Casper. Family and friends would see a lot of perks too. Then it would be a lot of travel for us.... but I think Colin would still work. He wouldn't know what to do with himself if he wasn't able to practice Geology. Oh... he said we would drill oil wells. So I guess I would be a book keeper/mom still, just in a different location. Don't you just love to dream?

cee.dub said...

I've thought of this a lot...as I buy powerball tix anytime I'm at a gas station and have some extra singles in my pocket. The only thing for sure I have come up with (besides taking care of student loans) is a summer tour of every Major League baseball stadium in the country.

Then I'd probably follow winter around and get really good at snowboarding.

amy said...

Meth infested Casper??? Yikes, it's that bad there? Dreaming is fun!

Cody, I'll join you at your Fenway stop!

Moody Family said...

There are gum smacking, lip licking, toothless, druggies all over this town..... even in the "nice" parts of town. There are people of all ages (young teens to 70s) that have got into it. It seems as though the drug of choice is meth too. Our neighbors told us that two years ago there was a huge meth bust in the house next door to us (tons of cop cars and lots of cuffs)........... comforting. Just the place any parent wants to raise their kids.

Marc said...

hmmm - i think about this sometimes ...
1. Pay off all outstanding loans (mortgage/car/student) in cash...how awesome would it be to walk into the place you owe some money to with a briefcase full-a-cash...

2. Figure out best way to earn interest on said gazillions (yea..i know ..no fun...but i dont want to be that dude from WV who's always in the news for stupid stuff he done did)

3. Europe. All of it. However long it takes.

4. Venture Capitalist...cuz you know - sometimes all a good idea needs is a break.

Maggie said...

i don't like to think about this sort of thing, as some of you know already. i think its bad luck, and more than anything, i say don't count on money or dream about it until you actually have it. i think we all live pretty amazing lives as it is, without the dough.

Marc said...

OR - you could have fun and pretend..i likes to pretend.

mcw said...

a corona commercial comes to mind.

Loni and Jackson said...

we would be farmers- cause that is what rich people do, right? i would spend a lot more time in california with my family and in general spend as little time as possible in new hampshire. not for lack of good company. i know that i would promply quit my job so i don't have to deal with condemned campers and babies in toilets.
amen to not working for the man!!!!

Lynn said...

So my fam is taken care of. Then comes some fun stuff for the homestead: a hot tub or spa.
I will take a couple of trips. All the women in the fam will be invited (on me, natch) for a spa week someplace calming and relaxing. Children will be included if the mom/dad wants her child(ren) with her.
Another trip to Scotland.
I would not quit my job right now, but I would take a leave... or maybe I would quit my job and just focus on my studies.
Then some sizable donations to important charities: Visiting Nurses of Rochester (Your VNA), SPCA of Stratham and Merrimack County, and others that are personal/private.
Don't really know, but I love to dream...

petecobb99 said...

i'd buy yellowstone national park, and move you all there to be with us...

the wisdom's in the trees, not the glass windows - j.j.