Monday, August 20, 2007

Bump in the Night

"Did you hear that?" big tough Adam said at about 2:30 this morning.

Yeah, I heard it, I was already awake. It's funny, a night last week I heard this same noise and pretty much convinced myself, that in the morning I was going to go out to the porch and find a big huge mess. I envisioned the hummingbird feeder destroyed and our recycling strewn across the lawn. But the next morning I woke up, went outside and found - nothing. Yeah, that's right - I thought it was a bear.

It's a weird noise, a banging, sort of rustling and it's enough to creep you the heck out. Especially, out here in the woods.

"We should have one of our phones in here," I said to Tough-y. He had already gotten up, closed and locked our bedroom doors and the window. And was sitting there with a look on his face that I hadn't even seen when he was up against a class V rapid. We had already been sitting up in bed, light on for about ten minutes. No noise.

"OK, yeah," he said - you're right. "I'll go." Ah, my knight in shining armor.

He went out to the living room, grabbed a phone and a piece of apple pie from the fridge - because that's going to keep the scary things away, I guess. And, all was well.

Yeah, we slept with a light on for the rest of the night.

6 comments:

Moody Family said...

That was really good thinking with the apple pie. Do you have any idea what made the noise?

amy said...

No idea, Lori...It stopped when we turned on the light. EEK.

Moody Family said...

Maybe it is a giant rat.... just a thought. Watch out though... don't want you to get your toes nibbled on or your house ransacked by a hungry bear. Take care and watch out for those things that go bump in the night.

Marc said...

i mean - Apple pie is right there next to Firearm when one is protecting ones' house.

why do you people hate america?

petecobb99 said...

apple pie is the answer to so many questions...i don't know adam, but i think i'll probably like him...

Lynn said...

Did you make an apple pie, Amy? I am wondering because I remember you making an apple pie once before and it was fan---tastic!
I am a little concerned here at Marc's house because I discovered tonight that he has a wooden bat (not aluminum, never aluminum) at his bedside ready to smash the head of any intruder. I sleep in the living room and think I need to get a hunter orange vest to wear if I have to go to the bathroom.
Maybe you two should start sleeping in your office?
I'm not feeling so secure in your safety with rADAMbo watching over the homestead...

the wisdom's in the trees, not the glass windows - j.j.