Friday, July 27, 2007

The Inspirational Quote

Last week I was flipping through my old cd case and found a goody from the UNH days, one that I hadn't listen to in a long time: Dave Matthews Band, Live at Red Rocks. I was listening along (OK and singing out loud in the car), reminded of one of my favorite all time quotes...

I can't believe that we would lie in our graves, wondering if we had spent our living days well.

I love this quote, I find it singing in my head every time I'm about to say "no" to taking a day off from work for some random adventure. And if I can, heck yes I'll take the day off.

I happened to be one of those people that loves the inspirational quote. I know many don't.

I think it's in my genes...Go into any one of my dad's offices and you will find posters hanging with sayings like, there is no "i" in team or sweat plus sacrifice equals success. Actually, my dad said one of my favorite quotes, and I find this one floating around in my head when I'm about to make a big decision, we all have choices, the only bad choice is not correcting the ones we're unhappy with. He said that to me when I was on the verge of ending my marriage and as hard as it was to go with my gut, it was the best decision I've ever made.

I play the Dixie Chicks song, Truth No. 2 just about every time I'm on my way to go riding, and especially if it's a new horse that I know may be tough...because of this quote, I don't think that I'm afraid anymore, say that I would, rather die trying. It helps me get my nerve up...f it, if I die, at least I was having a good time, I think to myself.

Maybe I'm a looney bird for having all of these quotes randomly swimming around in my head, plucking them out when I need them. Whatevs. Here are some more that I love:

Change is the essence of life. Be willing to change who you are, for who you could become.

When someone shows you who they are, believe them. - Maya Angelou

The universe has a way of taking care of assholes. -me (this one comes in very handy in traffic)

4 comments:

gardenboy said...

You aren't a looney bird. I have random songs play in my head all the time. Oftentimes with no real reason that I am sure of.

I too like that Dave lyric.

amy said...

hey, thanks...that makes me feel better!

petecobb99 said...

Oft-quoted, including at the beer tasting the other night: "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

petecobb99 said...

beer.... it feels good in my mouth.

a great quote that originated at the first gary brew tasting party

the wisdom's in the trees, not the glass windows - j.j.