Friday, March 14, 2008

Switching it up

"Just out of curiosity, how much would I have to spend on a horse to just do some local shows with?" I asked my riding instructor. I tried really hard not to look shocked when she responded with $20,000-25,000. This got me seriously thinking about my riding goals. I said to myself (in my head, not out loud) Amy, it's time to re-evaluate here.

What's important to me about riding, why do I love it?

*exercise
*the challenge of riding a horse that's difficult and eventually figuring him out (I say him because I really don't like mares, sorry to all you mares out there)
*it's fun

The thing is - I love Saddlebreds. So, I started doing some research and discovered, really to my surprise, that they do other things than just prance around the show ring. They're a versatile breed - cool! They jump, they do dressage, they're great on trails.

I started talking to one of my friends who has always ridden hunt seat and she had the same reaction to that high price tag. We've always banged heads on our riding styles. Apparently, I can get what I'm looking for without having to take out a loan!

So, I looked around and found a hunter/jumper barn close to my house. My first lesson is next week. THIS is seriously going to be hilarious...Me, going over fences - never thought I'd see the day. And yes, I'll be wearing a helmet.

My new goals?

1. Learn how to do this hunter/jumper stuff on lesson horses for the next couple of years.
2. Find me an awesome Saddlebred to team up with.
3. Have some freaking fun!

If you're interested:

American Saddlebred Sporthorse Association

Harry Callahan, a pretty famous horse outside of the typical Saddlebred showring.

4 comments:

Moody Family said...

Good Luck. It sounds like an excellent plan. It is so important to enjoy life and have fun. You can't put a price tag on happiness.

mcw said...

no matter what the price tag might be, there is always a way. as long as you have a plan, 20-25K isn't that hard to do.
good luck.
and be careful over those jumps.

Lynn said...

I'm glad you found a place closer to home AND is a bit more relaxed and less high maintenance.
I am also relieved that you decided to get a helmet on your head -- after all, I was with you when you were learning to drive a car and would stop 25+ feet from the stop sign because you didn't want to get too close. So learning another mode of transportation... helmet = good.

Dad/ray said...

Lots of luck to you Amy. You can do it.

the wisdom's in the trees, not the glass windows - j.j.