Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Amy's little dream world (in which she sounds like she's gone off the deep end)

I was pretty emotional yesterday when I wrote my post. In the words of the great Jack Johnson...sometimes it feels like a heart is no place to be singing from at all. I probably should have taken a deep breath before I spewed my thoughts to the Internet.

However, for the most part...I stand by them. I won't step foot in Walmart again. It's not just because of their paltry health care benefits for their employees. And, yes, I know - Universal Health care is not the answer - but jeez, we gotta do something different. It scares me to death that, being on my own, with no company benefits, if I get sick - really sick and can't work and can't pay for my health insurance anymore, then I'm f-ed. That's my reality.

I'm trying my damndest to be a smarter consumer. Maybe it's being around all these dirty hippies in Oregon, I have no idea. But, as I sit here, I'm drinking my stupid fair trade coffee, because I can't bring myself to buy anything else anymore. I may be a total sucker, but I'm buying it.

Anyway, I just feel like we're on the wrong path in this country and the Walmart story is just a symptom of a greater disease. It makes me really sad to know that a lot of people have stopped caring. And instead of sitting around and asking myself what I can do, I'm starting to do little things. I pay a little more for my groceries, I don't buy as much "stuff", I vote for people who I think have the same beliefs I do, I volunteer for organizations that matter to me.

I've got nieces and a nephew who I want to see a better world. I know that's hokey, and I'm sure you're all thinking I'm a little lulu at this point, but I don't care - it's true.

5 comments:

Marc said...

All the far ends of the spectrum are dreamy and unrealistic - which is why most happen in the middle - if we dont talk about the GOAL then where are we - the goal is affordable manageable health care - i think everyone agrees on that - so the more options available to meet the goal the better....

amy said...

what, you mean we can't all just live in a land with unicorns and balloons? and pretty flowers?

Marc said...

mmmmm unicorn balloon flowers

Moody Family said...

I want to live in a land of unicorns and balloons. The news constantly reminds us of the sorry state of health care in our world, not just the US. Being informed of each plan is a huge step to better care. For instance, on our plan, if you aren't going to an emergency room or a yearly checkup, you must call the insurance company ahead of time otherwise they won't pay a dime. In some cases they actually require you to call after a trip to the ER to warn them of what is happening. That was in the fine print and I know at least one person that is paying for a surgery.... 16 grand worth. That won't be a mistake I make any time soon. So, I urge everyone to read your policy very carefully. Although a land of unicorns and balloons is out of the question.... maybe there is something better ahead... I hope... By the way... some of that coffee is the best. In our uneducated, horrible town, they don't happen to carry much of anything that betters the world. They just carry things that make people more fat. But that is a whole other issue. Enjoy your coffee.... YUMMY!!!

petecobb99 said...

please do not stop dreaming...

the wisdom's in the trees, not the glass windows - j.j.