Monday, October 22, 2007

If you lost it, get it back

We all have that one thing. That thing that makes us tick. I think when we become grown ups, sometimes we lose sight of it - because we have jobs, husbands, wives, kids, responsibilities - and we let it slip away. The last time I went riding, I ended up at the barn early and got to talking with one of the moms that I see on occasion when I show up for my weekly lesson.

"This is your thing, isn't it?" said the mom. "I see it on your face every time I see you here - you're just so happy and at ease. I can just see it."

"Hmm, I guess maybe it is, yeah." was my response.

I'm not really sure why it is though. And I'm not sure why what makes each of us tick, tick. I find it really interesting - like what may be the thing that makes you tick - me - not so much. I've been asked, since I started riding again - what the point is. I'm not really sure - I don't have huge goals to make it the World Championships in Louisville or anything like that. Maybe I'll do a little local showing here and there. But, maybe not. I'm trying to figure that out now. And I'm setting some goals for myself. Because, well - once a week at the barn just ain't cutting it. I'd ride every day if I could.

All I know, is that every time I come home from riding, Adam can tell it was a riding day - even if he had forgotten. Cause I just have this huge smile on my face for the remainder of the day. I think maybe it lets me forget the everyday "stuff" for a little bit. Because I just concentrate completely on my horse and our task at hand. But for me, it's not just the riding. I love the whole aspect of having a horse - ever tried cleaning a stall? It's therapeutic - I'm telling you! Well, it is for me.

After losing it for a long while, I'm so glad I found my thing again. I'm curious...What's yours?

6 comments:

Moody Family said...

I have two..... walking.... breathing fresh air and not having to worry about anything is wonderful and rejuvinating.... The other is playing in the snow with my family. As a kid I always loved it, but it is even better now. I love it and wish it weren't a seasonal thing. Everything else in the world doesn't matter at that moment, just smiles everywhere..... it is the best thing in the world and the laughing doesn't stop. We could add cooking too this, but who doesn't love to cook?

mcw said...

i like to do things around the house. some are major projects like finishing the basement which i did about 7 or 8 years ago or the new deck that jason and i just finished yesterday. it was started about a year ago and is 16 x 20. pretty big compared to the 10 x 12 that it replaced. we did the staining over the past couple of weeks. it had to be exposed to the weather for about six months before it could be stained. i had a lot of help which makes it even more fun - pam's dad, matt, jason it's great for parties.
i always feel good (and tired) after working around the house. it's very satisfying and i am surprised, sometimes, at what i am capable of accomplishing.

amy said...

mcw - i think you should post some pics of the new deck!

lori - that first snow is totally the best...i'm with ya on that - so fun!

gardenboy said...

Playing ice hockey...simple as that.

Of course in my new life as a student it has become good grades!!

petecobb99 said...

walkin' in the hills and woods with karen...
we kind of lost it this year...
but we're gonna get it back...

Marc said...

playing basketball.

the wisdom's in the trees, not the glass windows - j.j.