Wednesday, May 28, 2008

A glimpse into my weirdness

In NH, you must register and have your car inspected each year in your birthday month. I'm not sure if that is the case in every state, in fact, I know it's not in Oregon. In Oregon, you register your car every two years, but you're not required to have it inspected (you should see the bombers driving around out there!). May is my birthday month and I always dread this task.

I dread it, because in years past, I have had to depart with a lot of my hard earned cash. Either because my car was newer (the first year I registered my new subi wagon, it was $600) or because it failed inspection and I needed new brakes, or tires or something else expensive before it would pass.

Anywho, I've built it up in my head that it's a big deal. May is my birthday month and as of yesterday, I hadn't done either. I decided it was time to bite the bullet, head to the town hall and the car shop. It was fine. My car is old enough now, that it wasn't too much to register it and the old girl passed inspection.

If all of this isn't weird enough (seriously, who gets worked up about such things, but me?), I had forgotten about my little OCD-ness AFTER I register and inspect my car each year. I'm now obsessed with checking everyone's sticker on their windshield to see if THEY'RE overdue with theirs (for those of you that don't know, we all have stickers on our windshield with the number of the month you have to inspect your car, and the color of the sticker changes every year - last year it was orange, this year, blue). And, I get all excited when I see someone is overdue, for some reason. I saw one on my way home last night and I was all (to myself in my car) "gotcha" to the person passing by. Like I'm the police and going to pull them over?

If I remember correctly, this will go on for the next month or so, and then I'll calm down about this.

2 comments:

Moody Family said...

Too funny. That cracks me up. You should put on a cop uniform and just scare those people that are past due. That would rock.

mcw said...

once a year registration and inspection in pa based upon when the car was purchased. $36 to register, i believe, no matter how old the car is.

got stopped at a roadblock once where the police were questioning drivers about a murder that happened the day before. the cop pointed out that my inspection was expired, but because he had more important things to worry about, he let me go.

the wisdom's in the trees, not the glass windows - j.j.