Friday, December 21, 2007

You've got a friend in Oregon...in a couple of months

I've always wanted to check out the Northwest. Now I'm going to get my chance.

I must say, the thought of spending a year or two on that chunk of earth excites me a whole lot more than Florida. Nothing against the Sunshine State, but...I feel like our lifestyle is much more suited to where we're headed. You think you've got some things planned and then, bam - not so much. So...you roll with it. The heli school in Florida did not end up working out and we found a great one just outside of Portland, Oregon.

It's been a crazy few weeks in this household. Some frustration, lots of honest conversation, some tears and a whole lot of excitement about what the future holds. I definitely got some mixed emotions about this move. It seems so much further away from home. Because, uh, it is. I wish I could bring everyone with me. No one's taken me up on the offer yet though. Hopefully we'll get some visitors while we're there.

There's going to be a lot to explore out there. A lot. So many mountains and rivers and miles and miles of coastline. Wineries. Breweries. New experiences. As Mag pointed out - Mt. Hood is open for snowboarding ALL YEAR. Something tells me she and Glacier may show up on our doorstep one day.

It's going to be interesting - driving across the country in the middle of winter. We're going to hope for a few days of no precip. Wishful thinking. We leave mid-Feb.

On we go. I guess this is what life's all about. You make some choices and hope they're the right ones. You never really know, until you know. Here's hoping this is one of those good ones!

8 comments:

mcw said...

never look back.
never second guess yourself.
keep your focus straight ahead.
the nice thing about choices is that you can always make the choice to return to where you came from.

mcw said...

have fun in oregon.

amy said...

hey....thanks. that is nice to hear.

Kat said...

Love the Northwest. That is where David and I want to retire to (Washington State). And when you are tired of the rain and snow you can come to Oahu and visit us. Plenty of room and there is lots to see and do here plus lots of island hopping. Hugs

Kathi Kaiser

amy said...

Sounds like a plan to me - I've never been to Hawaii!

petecobb99 said...

once you go west you'll see it's the best...

Moody Family said...

Some of the best things in life aren't planned. New experiences and adventures are what make life interesting and fun. You will love it. There is so much to do and so many different opportunities..... As Pete said.... once you go west you will see it is best. Congrats on the new opportunity. Merry Christmas!!!!!!

Maggie said...

i'm actually going to have three friends in oregon. if kobe counts. which he does. obviously.

the wisdom's in the trees, not the glass windows - j.j.