Wednesday, December 12, 2007

We ain't gonna take it, anymore

Some of you may know that I have been working as a "freelancer" for the past year. Freelancer isn't really an accurate description of what I am though. I am working full-time for a large publishing company, whose name I will not mention for obvious reasons.

I was brought on in a freelance capacity with the promise of becoming a full-time, benefited employee...eventually. As a freelancer, I receive zero benefits and am paying for my own health insurance, because living without it is just not an option. [Side Note: That's a whole other topic - but please, if you haven't already - see the movie Sicko and then write your Congresspersons.] I have no retirement fund, no dental insurance and don't get paid if I don't work. No holidays, no vacation days, no sick days. I am not on payroll and must submit invoices twice a month in order to be paid.

Recently, there was a gap of over a month between my paychecks because somehow two of my invoices were lost during processing. I've learned the hard way, that in addition to doing my job - I have to check in and make sure others are doing theirs as well. Ya know, so I can like, get paid. Thankfully, I have a generous roommate who covered my rent until I was paid. Because for the first time in my adult life, I did not have enough money in my checking account to pay my damn rent.

It's a frustrating thing. Not only is it frustrating. It's exploitive. I've made the decision that I will not work on a freelance basis much longer. I've expressed my dissatisfaction with this "system" and I will either be brought on staff within the next six months, or I will be looking for a job with an organization that actually values its people.

I'm learning that this is a fairly common practice. And I'm not the only one fed up with it. For the past two days "permalancers" have walked off the job at MTV/Viacom in NYC. It's estimated that almost 75% of their "employees" are working on a freelance basis. This is an example of a broken system that needs fixing.

Although I doubt that Kobe and I walking around our neighborhood in the woods picketing, would get much media coverage, I'm sure glad this did. For further reading:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/11/business/media/11mtv.html?_r=2&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

4 comments:

Moody Family said...

I feel for you. It seems as though companies have a tendency to take advantage of the "little man." If you are freelance you will be taken advatage of in the ways you have described and if you are salary..... well, I can tell you it can be just as bad. They work you very hard, many more hours than you are paid for. It is as if they think that you can do every job so they continue to add more on your plate even though you don't have the time for it. Then to top it off, they don't give any extras. Sure you have insurance, but they don't pay for any of your families benefits and you are working so many extra hours your family begins to wonder if you still exist. Oh and the thought of a raise..... HA!!! like that would really happen. Oh if only the higher ups could be given the foot in the ass treatment for once... maybe things would change.

amy said...

You're right, Lori. Very true. Adam's dad was given two choices:

1. Do the same job he's been doing as an hourly employee, as a salary position.

2. Be out of a job.

Having a family to support, and living in an area with little - actually - no other options, he chose number 1. He's working longer hours with no increase in pay.

It's just wrong. The rich get richer...

Moody Family said...

My favorite part is that they hire people with less experience and that aren't as qualified for higher pay... because they are older and people respect them more.... That is really what they said to him. I would have told them to go to hell a long time ago if I were Colin. I guess that is why I don't have a job. HA!HA!HA!

Marc said...

You're not charging enough.

If you're a freelancer, then you dictate the rate - if they dont want to pay it then they can hire someone else.

Its a risk - but if you're having payment issues anyway...

But that's me...and that's how I roll...

the wisdom's in the trees, not the glass windows - j.j.