Thursday, December 4, 2008

Bring it on (the end of deer season)

Kobe and I are just about ready to jump out of our skin.

One of our favorite past times has had to go on the back burner for a bit: walking in the woods. Since we now live in town, in order for Kobes to have a little off-leash time, I take him to one of a handful of state parks nearby. Unfortunately (or fortunately - depending on which way you look at it) they all allow hunting. And they close the trails to walkers. I didn't know this until I went to take one of our daily walks on Monday and there was a big sign: Trail closed to walkers due to deer firearms season - 11/19 - 12/9. Boo.

I'm always a wee bit uneasy walking through the woods this time of year anyway - there's always some wacko mistaking a person/dog/horse for a deer every year...So, for the next week, we will settle for city walking. Bleck.

6 comments:

Dad/ray said...

When we lived in NH this was a big problem. I hunted and if you went far enough into the woods the city hunters were not there. I saw my first and only white ermine way back in the woods.

amy said...

i just googled "ermine" because i didn't know what it was. they're cute little buggers - that's neat that you got to see one!

yes, the city hunters. sigh. they are the problem. i don't know the area well enough yet to know where to go to get away from them!

Maggie said...

i can't believe they close the state park trails for hunters. that's messed up.

Marc said...

i just dont understand how you could possible mistake a person for a deer.

why do they give these people guns?

amy said...

I agree with you both, totally. I should take a photo of the sign - I was all, huh? The trail is closed? Poor kobe, we just got out of the car and he was pumped for a walk, and I had to tell him to get back in the car!

mcw said...

although inconvenient, it's probably a good idea that the trails are closed for hunting season. we've all seen some of the people who are issued hunting licenses. it's kind of scary.

the wisdom's in the trees, not the glass windows - j.j.