Monday, March 18, 2013

A New Challenge

Last Friday I contacted one of the horse industry publications that I subscribe to offering my services as a freelance copy editor or proofreader (my comfort zone). I received a response from the editorial director with news that I hadn't anticipated. They are looking for freelance writers (so outside of my comfort zone!).

She asked if I could provide samples of my work. I replied honestly saying that I really hadn't written much more than a cover letter since I graduated from college. So I offered to profile one of my fellow horseback riders and my horse trainer and submit them as samples. She thought this was a great idea. It would give them a feel for my writing style and I would see if it's something that I enjoy.

But there's a bit of a problem! See, there's a reason why I haven't really written much since graduation. I remember not getting a job right out of college as a result of a review of my writing. From that day forward, in my mind, I was a crummy writer. Admittedly, I didn't exactly "live up to my potential" in college. I got by and did OK but spent a lot of time on "extracurricular activities." But this is something that I'd really like to do. I want to put the work in to get better.

So, I asked one of the ladies at my barn if she'd be willing to answer some questions and let me write about her. She agreed and I spent the weekend thinking about what direction I wanted this write-up to go in. I came up with a handful of questions and sent them to her. She'll get her answers to me by Wednesday. That's where I am at this point. But wow, this is hard. Just coming up with some pointed questions was not easy for me. Admittedly, I could be making it harder than it should be. But only because I have that nagging voice in the back of my head telling me that I can't do this. I think I can. I am determined to do this.

This blog post is an attempt to dust off the cobwebs and get writing. I know that it's not very good, but it's a starting point! It is the first of what will be many to come. I will be writing daily for the next month as a challenge to myself to get better with each post. I am going to mostly write about horses, to get myself in that frame of mind. I know this blog is supposed to be to update you, my family (my only readers) on my happenings and I apologize if horses don't interest you. I'll try to throw some other stuff in now and then. But for the next month, it's horses baby!

Side note: If you know of a good resource or two related to writing improvement, please share it with me. Thank you!

2 comments:

petecobb99 said...

that is great! and, you can do it! i would read as much as possible, especially the magazine you are writing for, to get a feel for their style. then just write what is in you head, and in your heart, and make it be something you like to read...and in ten years, maybe you will look back on that piece with a little amateur embarrassment, but a lot of pride...

amy said...

Thanks so much for the vote of confidence and for the tips...Much appreciated. :)

the wisdom's in the trees, not the glass windows - j.j.