Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Life

Yesterday we received some terrible news from a friend of Adam's out in Oregon. Adam's first flight instructor was killed in a crash while instructing on Sunday. The student died as well. We both sort of stared at each other for like 5 minutes not really knowing what to say when we first heard. Then admitting not knowing what to say, it started a dialog about life and risks and reflection about a man with a wife and a baby and how precious our time here is.

My heart hurts today for Doug's wife and his baby boy who will not know his father. I have that sick feeling in my stomach because I know that someone on the other side of the country got the phone call or the knock at the door that we all dread.

The reality is that people die flying helicopters, paddling rivers, riding horses. Although it's tempting at times like this to stop doing the things we enjoy because of the risks involved, it's also true that people die slipping in the shower and I'm sure as hell not going to stop taking showers! Instead, I think it's important to remember that life is unpredictable. To honor those we've lost, we should do the things we enjoy. Don't sweat the small stuff. Don't hold grudges. Treat people in our lives with love and respect. Because you just never know.

2 comments:

Kat said...

I am so sorry to hear about Doug and my heart goes out to his family. We need to go out and enjoy life to its fullest. Hugs.

mcw said...

My condolences to Doug's family.

the wisdom's in the trees, not the glass windows - j.j.