Friday, July 10, 2009

Money, Honey

Curious about where all of my money has been going, I decided to go through my bank account and total up the amount of money I'd spent on food in the last month. I was ASTOUNDED when I saw the total. It was a real eye opener...$733.98.

Those quick trips to Subway and the occasional night out to dinner really add up. I was compelled to take a look at my account because one afternoon, I decided to take an Oprah break and it was a day that Suze Orman was on the program. As usual, Suze was discussing how we could all save money and she issued the following challenge:

1. Pick one day a month and spend no money at all. (no problem)
2. Do not use a credit card for one week. (no problem)
3. Do not eat out for one month. (problem!)

That's what we do, we meet friends for dinner or lunch or beers or we grab a sandwich...How can I say 'no' to a friend who calls up and asks me to go grab a bite? Well. After crunching the numbers I'm going to take Suze's challenge and total my food tab on August 10th. I'll let you know the difference.

5 comments:

petecobb99 said...

i wonder: is it cheaper to invite your friends over for a bite and you buy all the food than it is to go out and you just pay for your own food?

mcw said...

Eating out can really add up, especially alcohol purchases.
The items purchased for home consumption that I find are most expensive are "junk foods".

Dad/ray said...

I will give you a IOU so you can go out and have a few beers on August 11 which is my BD. Have fun

amy said...

So far, so good...A friend asked me to go grab dinner, instead we're going to take the dogs for a hike and pack a picnic - more fun anyway!

And I should have clarified, that number included all groceries AND eating out. Still outrageous.

I will keep August 11 in mind and say a cheers for you, Ray!

Dad/ray said...

Thank you and have a good time. Try some 10 penny beer. Its Canadian but brewed in CT now.

the wisdom's in the trees, not the glass windows - j.j.