Friday, June 19, 2009

Compelled to act

About six months ago, I decided that when the time is right for me to have a horse, I am going to adopt one from an organization called Saddlebred Rescue. Saddlebred Rescue attends a sale in Pennsylvania every Monday called the New Holland sale. There are several meat buyers that attend this sale and many of the horses bought at this sale end up on a truck headed to the slaughterhouse. Many good, usable, young, healthy, horses. I have my eye on one particular horse that I'd like to snag, but I'm not quite ready, since we don't even know where we'll be living in a couple of months (check him out!).

Even though I can't quite afford my own horse yet, when I turned on my computer this morning and went to my homepage, I saw an image (below) that compelled me to write a small check for the care of some horses in desperate need. Times are tough. Folks have gotten in over their heads. I feel like it's my responsibilty to help out, in whatever way I can. In this particular case, there are 20+ older mares and their foals that are starving in Kentucky. They are in good hands now, but any help we can give will be greatly appreciated. If you'd like to contribute to the feed/care of these guys:

ASHA
Equine Welfare Fund
4083 Iron Works Parkway
Lexington, KY 40511

(Please indicate Mercer County horses in memo)

1 comment:

the wisdom's in the trees, not the glass windows - j.j.