Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Foreign Territory

When a friend of ours passed away last year, he left a couple of musical instruments to Adam and me. Me, a mandolin and Adam, a banjo. We've carried them around with us from place to place. They made it across the country, and back, without coming out of their cases.

Last night, though, we made a pact that we are going to dig them out, tune them up (well, learn HOW to tune them up) and start taking some lessons.

I love music, especially blue grass. The mandolin is one of my favorite instruments. But, I've always been totally intimidated by learning how to play it, well play anything. Reading music is like a foreign language, I look at the page and have no clue what it says.

Other than the recorder, in third grade, I've never mastered an instrument. For the record, I could play Hot Cross Buns with the best of them. I'm ready to step up my game and give it a shot with the mandolin! I'll let you know how it goes. When I start to get frustrated, I will listen to a little something like the above video for inspiration.

1 comment:

mcw said...

practice hard and good luck!

we will be waiting for the video.

the wisdom's in the trees, not the glass windows - j.j.