Friday, February 29, 2008

Happiness

The thing that I absolutely love about riding is that when I am in the saddle I think about nothing else but that moment. Yesterday, I had my first regularly scheduled lesson at my new barn. I had the opportunity to ride a show horse who gave me a nice challenge.
He is a 6 year old American Saddlebred gelding - big and bold at 16.2 hands and there ain't nothing "push-button" about him. I had to work for every nice gait and it was so damn fun. His trot is so big that I thought a couple of times I was going to end up down on the ground...16.2 hands wouldn't have been so nice then. But, I managed to stay on yesterday.
The first way around the ring was a little ugly. Actually, it was a lot ugly. I was humbled by how much I suck at riding and how much I still have to learn. But, by the second way I started to figure him out a bit and we had a couple of nice passes. Adam got it on video and I will try to upload some later. I know, I know - you're all on pins and needles.
Anyway. Yesterday was the first time since we arrived in Oregon that I felt completely at ease. All of this new-ness has left me feeling vulnerable and a little scared at times. I've had to push myself to leave the house to run errands in all of this traffic and craziness and I am very happy that I have a place to go to where the people are chill and into the same things I am.
Kobe was a happy boy too. He came along and got to run around with all of the barn dogs. The ride home was killer because in addition to having an ear to ear grin we got to listen to a cd changer full of new music thanks to Gary and Loni.
Yesterday was one of those days that I felt very lucky to be alive and in the place that I am. For your viewing pleasure, a view of Mt. Hood with the sun setting, taken on our way home last night.

6 comments:

Lynn said...

I'm really glad that you got yourself out to the barn and got on top of a horse! That is the time when you have always been relaxed and at peace -- even when the horse was feisty!
Do you have any stills of your ride?
And how is Adam doing at school? Has he been up in a 'copter yet?
I am very proud of you for making this move, Amy. You'll get used to the "suburbian" life! It really is okay to go to sleep at night -- no one would ever DARE to break in when you have that fine specimen of a watch dog, Kobe!
Keep on doing what you are doing. Take those trips out of the house every day and find a new place to go to -- every day! You just may find your next place to explore more thoroughly!

petecobb99 said...

waiting for a brewpub report...
top priority!

mcw said...

16.2 hands = _____ feet?

petecobb99 said...

i think it is 58.77 ft.

mcw said...

that sounds more like a mythological from Troy!

mcw said...

that should say "mythological horse".

the wisdom's in the trees, not the glass windows - j.j.