Thursday, April 26, 2007

Wow - What a Week!

To follow in the 'never a dull moment in my life' theme - let me give you a little glimpse into the week I've had.

I'm not sure how many of you know about the flooding we had here last week. But, we got hit pretty hard. In order to get to our house, you have to cross over a bridge (over Kobe Creek). Thanks to Mother Nature, that bridge was washed away and with it went our ability to get in or out of our house. No big...We found away around it and now the bridge has been fixed anyway. In addition to the wash out, the phone company's main station flooded out and we have been without phone/Internet since last Monday.

As you may have guessed, this has put a kink into my work from home gig. I've been working elsewhere ever since. The phone was finally turned back on yesterday, but curiously not the Internet. I placed a call to the phone company (you know the one). I went through the whole testing the line, unplugging all the doo-hicky's, etc. with the rep from the company on the phone. After no success, she declared that yes, a technician would need to be dispatched to the house. And, would I be home from 8:00 am to 7:00 pm to let them in if need be. Uh, I guess so, I responded. So I waited. And I waited. And waited. 7:00 pm rolls around. No technician.

I won't bore you with any more details on this one. Bottomline, still no Internet at the house - when I called back today to voice my frustration, I was told that they discovered the problem was on their end and a technician at the house was not necessary - service should be restored within 24 hours. Great. Thanks for letting me know this. Yesterday. As I waited at home. Sigh.

Anyway...I went to my company's HQ in NYC this week for a meeting. Great meeting, got a chance to spend time with folks I previously had just known virtually. Had a little bit of a plane scare - but made it home safely in spite of that (didn't help with that whole fear thing though!).

I'm looking forward to a nice weekend after what has been a nutty week. I'm hoping to do some paddling and will post pics next week.

6 comments:

Maggie said...

What happened with the plane?

petecobb99 said...

yeah, what happened with the plane?

Zack and Jenny said...

hey amy, what happened with the plane?

gardenboy said...

I'll fourth that comment...what happened with the plane the plane?

amy said...

SHOOT - sorry - meant to let you guys know yesterday...I'm sure none of you would've blinked an eye...BUT...It was one of those little prop planes (34 passenger ones)...and we were all waiting to board, the flight was delayed at this point...and then the pilot comes out of the gate ready to kill someone...and starts YELLING at the maintainence guy - "WHY DID YOU FULLY RE-FUEL THE PLANE?! WE CAN'T BOARD NOW..." and he went on for a few minutes about this. THEN, the pilot, maint. guy and ticket agent chick went over to a different gate...Then, they came back with the pilot still pissed and says, "Fine, but I'm only taking 27..." At this point I'm seriously reconsidering getting on that plane...WTF...Pissed pilot, pissed maint. guy this can equal nothing good! But I really wanted to get home, I was tired - so I decided what the hell and got on the plane.

So about five minutes into the flight I start to smell something burning. Yeah, great choice Amy, I'm thinking - way to use those instincts...I immediately think we're going down.

Turns out it was the guy behind me who brought a burger on the plane - it smelled like something burning though - I swear.

So, I guess technically, there was nothing wrong with the plane...But the series of events that freaked me out enough to call it a "plane scare."

petecobb99 said...

i'm not sure i ever want to travel with you...

the wisdom's in the trees, not the glass windows - j.j.