Wednesday, April 10, 2013

What makes him such a great horse?

Our local television station came out to the barn today to tape a segment for their nightly half hour program on which they showcase what's happening around New Hampshire. They often run stories about local businesses, farmers' markets, artisans, and so on. My trainer asked me if I would be willing to head over and answer some questions about Mario on camera and also do some riding. Uh, yes!

It was a really fun afternoon. The reporter interviewed my trainer and her staff, they walked around and videoed the grounds as well as horses being worked. It was a super opportunity to get the word out about American Saddlebreds and Saddle Seat riding. Even if it was just on the local level. Hopefully a viewer or two will get the spark to start riding lessons and will come out to the farm and experience the joy that comes with riding. All you have to do is ride once to get hooked. Smile.

Thinking back on the day, one of the reporter's questions sticks out in my mind. What makes Mario such a great horse?

I hope that my answer did justice to him. In a nutshell I responded that he was a true ambassador for his breed. He is an absolute show horse at his core - he loves to go out in the ring and let everyone know that he's somebody. But in the off season when showing is far from our minds, he goes to the beach and out on the trails through the woods and is happy (and safe!) as can be out there. He is everything you could ever want in a horse.

I do not know if what I said in my interview will make it to the segment. Nevertheless I will post a link to whatever ends up airing here for you so that you can see the farm and its happenings.

No comments:

the wisdom's in the trees, not the glass windows - j.j.