Monday, July 7, 2008

A hardboat isn't for everyone.

This past weekend was the last one that Adam and I will be spending together for a while, while he transitions to going to school 4 days a week and working the other 3. We decided to do it up in style.

We headed north for some sleeping under the stars, paddling, and and mt. biking. Good times. The best part of the weekend for me, was discovering the inflatable kayak. I have never had so much fun on the river before and I'm seriously considering selling my hardboat and trading it in for a "ducky" as they are called.

We rented this one from our paddling club for the weekend because I just haven't been having a good time in my hardboat. It's far from comfortable and I just don't go enough to be able to control my turns without flipping it over - hoping I make my roll, and ultimately, doing a lot of swimming in whitewater - meh - not so fun.

But this weekend, in the inflatable - it felt like a completely different sport. I LOVED it. I was able to catch eddies that I was too scared to try in my hardboat - for fear of flipping. I was surfing waves that I wouldn't have caught before. It made the river seem a lot less scary and a lot more fun. I'd take any of you out in one and you would have a blast - for sure. Let me know if you'd like to take me up on it.

I came home to news in my inbox, that the Avetts signed with a major record label. Glad I decided to get tickets to the festival...this will probably be their last year of small venue shows. I'm really happy for the boys - no one deserves it more, and I hope this increases their audience.

That's all for now.

2 comments:

mcw said...

maybe you can get your cousins to go with you when we come up there.
it sounds like fun.

amy said...

love to!

the wisdom's in the trees, not the glass windows - j.j.