Friday, March 23, 2007

the new house and by the way - monopolies suck

So, I succumbed to the family pressure...Uh, if Jeff (aka Bubba) is doing it, then I have to partake! As the blog name suggests, Adam and I recently moved into a log cabin and pretty much all I can see is trees.

The move went fairly smooth...The one glitch being Internet. Because we live among the trees - and that's pretty much it - securing some utilities has proven to be, ah, a challenge. There is no cable out here, so my only options for Internet are: dial-up (yawn - and I work from home, so not even practical), satellite (can be unreliable, costs $100/month and requires a 15 month agreement) or dsl (least expensive, pretty fast, no agreement required). After a month-long battle with Verizon (dsl is available - no it's not - yes it is - not it's not - and then finally, yes it is), I now have high speed Internet...I hate monopolies. Who would have thought that in the 21st century obtaining high speed Internet would be an epic battle?

Other than that, life is good out here in the treehouse. We've got a pretty cool brook with some decent rapids on it - Adam started clearing some wood from it last night. We're hoping to run it this weekend. It has no name...Post your ideas in the comments section. The best we've been able to come up with is "Babbling Brook." Lame.

In addition to the brook, there are miles of trails to choose from. We're pretty happy campers and one very happy puppy. Pictures of the new abode and surroundings to come.

Till next time...

3 comments:

Maggie said...

Babbling Brook IS stupid.... you are right about that one! I think you should call it Glacier Creek. Or Kobe Creek! That has a nice ring to it... :)

petecobb99 said...

i like both of maggie's ideas...or maybe treehouse brook?

Zack and Jenny said...

I'm in favor of either of Maggie's ideas. If it were my brook I might think about naming it Dice-K Brook until he leaves the Red Sox for the Yankees in 3 years.

the wisdom's in the trees, not the glass windows - j.j.